"If you are lucky enough to have lived in New York as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for New York is a moveable feast." -Ernest Hemingway (updated for the 21st century)

Friday, January 18, 2008

Only In New York

So it started snowing yesterday
"Finally!" I thought
So I went to walk to the shop in it
But the streets were too wet for it to settle
"Damn" I thought
But that didn't deter the first person I saw after i left the hostel -a dude SKIING down Manhattan Ave!
That's right -skiing
This takes this town's reputation for impatience to new levels: it's only been snowing for about half an hour, there isn't even snow on the ground, and someone's already skiing (really quite fast, i might add)
How does he ski with no snow, I hear you ask?
Well he was wearing "street skis" i.e. skis with wheels
Which made me and my friends wonder -why the hell did he bother to wait for it to start snowing?
We agreed that he must have been after a more "real" skiing experience
But thinking about it later I remembered that the times i've been skiing, you don't go skiing as it's snowing: it snows at night and you ski in the day when the weather is 90% of the time blue skies and sun
So, i dunno
Don't try and rationalize what new yorkers do -they walk (or ski) their own path

No comments: