"If you are lucky enough to have lived in New York as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for New York is a moveable feast." -Ernest Hemingway (updated for the 21st century)

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Spekhead Fights Back!

OK. Time to get back down to the business in hand....

The Story So Far....

Dan has been robbed of $200 dollars, his nintendo DS -almost certainly by a “friend” and colleague- has quit his job as a consequence, came close to quitting the country too, and got totally burned by someone he thought he trusted -right in his hour of need!

Man, that shit is fucked up!

But dan chooses not to run and hide like a pussywillow -he chooses to fight!

Hell, yeah!

How does he do so? Read on....

I eventually find kathi and I tell her what's been going on

It takes a good while!

Her eyes just get wider and wider1

After we do the walk, I say goodbye, will keep her posted

I then realise I have eaten nothing at all that day, and it's already 4 o' clock2

So I go get pizza

while i'm eating my pizza, jane calls me

(remember jane? One of the two lucky girls [shannon was t'other] I spent the previous night with)

She's heard what's happened now, the theft, that i've quit etc

And she tells me my DS has been found, in her room3

Phew!

But there is still the matter of the money

And it's to her that I unburden my suspicions

which are as follows:

who is my obvious enemy right now?

Could it be the guy who was on the verge of dragging me out of bed and beating the shit of me last night because I was in bed with “his” girl?

Davey had just said to me that morning how angry Darryl was with me

(remember now that NOTHING HAPPENED; nada, zilch!)

And Darryl lives in the basement too (the door to basement was locked after jane and I got in)

And he was working that night, so he knew how much money I had (after I thought it had been robbed the first time)

Shannon must have been with Jane, and heard her side of the conversation, because Jane puts her on the line

Shannon makes a very impassioned defense for Darryl's innocence

About how he would never do something like that, not in a million years

How she herself is a light sleeper, would have woken up if anyone came into the room

But I'm not having it

She tells me at one point -after I lay out all the (circumstantial) evidence against darryl- how i'm “breaking [her] heart”

This is what I say to her4: “Hey shannon, you listen to me now: unless that money somehow turns up before tomorrow I WILL call the cops. I'm through with people at this fucking hostel disrespecting me. Tell Darryl I want that money back before tomorrow or I'm calling the police. I'm not gonna accuse anyone of anything, just tell the police what's been going on over the past 24 hours. How the fuck do you think it's going to look to them? You can save your shit for the courtroom, yeah? You can be star witness for the defense.”

Then I hang up on her.

After that, I finish my meal, wander around the upper west for a while

walk, think

think, walk

and also, if I'm honest (and this blog is 100% candid, much to certain people's [justified] annoyance): I'm scared

I've never in my whole life been in a position like this

I've never said things like i've said -to anyone, ever

this is (to quote startrek, like the little gimpy geek I am) “an undiscovered country”

eventually I get back to the hostel, to face the proverbial music

but the first thing I do is get on a payphone to england and make an important phonecall5

It's in the middle of this call that darryl comes over

I don't know whether he is working, or has been waiting for me specific

One thing's for sure, 100%:

He's angry

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeally angry

I'm having this phone convo sitting on the floor

And darryl is suddenly there, towering over me

(this is perspective in action; he's a short guy, but right now he looks like a giant)

He works out too

(a self confessed “protein junkie”)

he's FIT

y'know how in shit literature tough-looking black dudes are described as looking as they've “been carved out of obsidian”?

well cliches are cliches because they pop up all the time in life

he says to me: “shannon said you're calling the police on me. You picked the wrong fucking person to play that shit with.”

Me: “Darryl just hold on a sec, i'm on the phone to england i'll talk to you in just a sec-”

Him: 'No man, we need to settle this RIGHT NOW”6

And I tell the person i'm talking to in england that I've got something to take care of, i'll be in touch

I hang up, stand up, and....

TO BE CONTINUED.....

(ha ha, sorry but like I said in the first post -i can't help being overly dramatic!)



1 It was at this point I decided I needed to write a blog (or something!). Talking out the whole story made me realise how I needed to get it down as it's, without a doubt, the craziest shit that has ever happened to me. This blog is for me, really. I just thought others might find it entertaining too.

2 I had also had maybe 6 hours sleep in the past 72 hours. And lack of sleep sends you loopy, as Liam Gallagher once kindly demonstrated (he decided to fuck sleep and ended up hospitalising himself). So bear that in mind as events pan out.

3 This means I, crazily, took it to ding dongs with me. What was I thinking??? But, conveniently, it destroys the “pickpocket at ding dongs theory”. Because while I might be able to acknowledge that a pickpocket might just take the cash out of my pocket and return the rest (maybe); a pickpocket who decides NOT to take a $120 nintendo ($150, with mariokart in the slot) simply does not exist on this earth. Ergo, the hater is a member of staff, 100% certain.

4 I quoting this from memory, and so, inevitably, it's paraphrased. But the gist of it is true and real.

5 The complexion of which -and the ancillary stuff to do with it- is the one and only subject i'm not prepared to talk about here.

6 The little chimp I was talking to in england on the phone at the time can verify all this shit is true if ya'll don't believe me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

little chimp? Wonder who that is.

Hi Dan. Enjoying your tales. Hope you're ok x.

Ibby.

NY Dan said...

well -i have one reader at least!
nice to hear from you too, ibbster.
D