"If you are lucky enough to have lived in New York as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for New York is a moveable feast." -Ernest Hemingway (updated for the 21st century)

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Reasons Why I Love New York #479

Let me just take a brief pause in the narrative to tell ya'll bout something that happened in our neighborhood the other day
I've told just about everybody who'll listen what a safe place new york is (manhattan anyway)
I think i've mentioned in this blog somewhere how it's the safest place I've ever lived
Well, a few days ago a member of staff, Judith, got mugged, just round the corner from the hostel on 105st
It happened in broad daylight too, 12 o'clock in the afternoon
It was some black dude; he pushed her to the ground, took her ipod
Pretty shitty right?
But here's what happened next
Two guys from the neighborhood -a couple of latino guys, complete strangers to Judith- saw what happened and chased after the mugger
They chased him for a couple of blocks and tackled him to the ground
Then they basically sat on him while other folks from the neighborhood called the cops
They restrained him till the police got there
judith got her ipod back there and then
Can you imagine that shit going down in London? Manchester?
I don't think so: "not my business"
(and i don't recall anyone coming to my aid when those two scallies tried to mug me in broad daylight that time)
And get this, after the cops got there, they frisked the guy... and he was packing heat!
Yup, the dude had a gun on him
So lets hear it for the heroes of 105 st!
Man it's crazy: seems like in new york complete strangers have got your back -it's the people you know who stick the knife in it....

No comments: